Food! A Nomad's Choice

 Surviving as a nomad or in a zombie takeover, aka, apocalypse, is about the same. One difference is having food that can be eaten right out of the bag or can. My list is combining both since occasionally, I'm sure, I'll have a way to fire up a grill, propane burner, build a campfire or have electricity to brew a real cup of coffee. 

It will depend on my nomad set up once I hit the road, but in truth, this works for whatever I'll be living in. My food needs to be easy to store and easy to fix. 

I have a large tub of Ready Wise dehydrated foods. I have two buckets with a variety of breakfast lunch and dinner but also individual packets I pick up with chili and even teriyaki chicken. 



Most of these you add water, except for the dehydrated snacking peas (very weird tasting), but most the time, heating up water to make these won't be a problem; however, there may be bad weather or can't use the tiny propane burner days, so something ready to eat will come in handy. Maybe, I'll just be lazy and want "fast food" from my stash.

Here is my stash of shelf stable, no refrigeration or cooking needed list. 

  1. butter
  2. water
  3. peanut butter, pure honey and pure maple syrup (so good together and shelf stable)
  4. raisins (add this to the peanut butter for extra nutrition and sweetness)
  5. jerky
  6. raw sugar
  7. seasonings (limiting to Mrs. Dash, paprika, garlic and onion powers)
  8. can milk/coconut milk
  9. oatmeal (can add water and let sit overnight)
  10. dehydrated blue berries
  11. pickles
  12. cans with flip tops tuna, chicken and fish
  13. bread
  14. small cans fruit
  15. wraps
  16. bottled coffee
  17. bean dip
  18. tortilla chips
  19. small cans corn, tomatoes, broth, green beans
  20. spam
  21. jars fruit
  22. protein powders
  23. Sardines (OK, I'll have them on hand in case but still hard for me to try)
  24. pepperoni
Some vegetables you don't need to refrigerate are carrots, onion, bell pepper, greener bananas to allow to have on hand a few days, apples, oranges, avocado, and cucumbers.

You can do quite a bit with all the above. I have recipes and that is another list blog. 

Things to have on hand that don't need refrigeration but do need to be cooked and can be used with the above are rice, ramen, dry beans and lentils, ground and instant coffee. 

My favorite way to brew coffee is over an open fire with a camp percolator. What if I only can boil up water and can't perk? Heat up enough for instant and some ramen. Double duty.

If I have a small ice chest or vehicle refrigerator, I'll carry some butter lettuce, cheese, and spicy mayo. 

I'm not sure if I will be cooking steaks or ground beef/chicken while in a truck but I do plan to stay in campgrounds and put up a tent so might pick up a pack or two when I do. 

Drinks will be water, protein shakes, vitamin water, coffee, tea, and sometimes hot cocoa. 

I'm sure I'll add to this list as I go. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Virtual Connections are Lacking

Chowder Bowl in Newport, Oregon

Under Construction